Teacher of the Week: Ms. K. Hughes
Interview by: Jasmine Burroughs
How many years have you been teaching?
- 4 and a half years
Was teaching your first choice?
- No, I wanted to be a pediatrician
What college did you attend?
- College of Charleston and Francis Marion University
What are the pros and cons of becoming a teacher?
You do not get paid enough
People do not respect your profession
People underestimate how hard you work
You get to help kids
You get to teach the things that you love
And you get to see kids’ succeed
What do you find most difficult about being a teacher?
- Knowing when to give up on someone
What do you think are the key qualities/ skills that students look for in a teacher?
- Someone who’s nice, realistic , and understanding
Did you want to teach anything besides English?
How do you communicate with parents on a regular basis?
- Send letters home, Use remind101, Call
What is the biggest challenge in teaching?
- Getting students to understand that my ultimate goal is to make them successful.
How do you allow students to express their creativity?
Different types of projects like making movies, journaling, and creating children’s books